Saluta Angelo Raspante (EVS Volunteer from Italy)


Say ciao to our new volunteer!



Something that our town requires in order to become alive is news, new people and events. Volunteering, as the easiest way to meet and exchange experiences with people from abroad, is something happening in our town too. Here in Negotino the Italian spirit is present through Angelo Raspante. He came here in April and many people have seen him. Our CRSD crew wanted to talk with him and meet him closely….





1. Many people know you as a volunteer but not the real reason why you’re here. Can you introduce yourself more to the youth?

Hello! Like you know I’m a volunteer for an EVS (European Voluntary Service) project and I come from Italy. The real reason why I’m here is the opportunity to get a special experience, in a foreign country, with a different language, culture, customs, but also the opportunity to try to give my private/professional contributions to supporting the CRSD (Center for Regional Sustainable Development) activities with my skills and my helpfulness. I have a passion for traveling and I was deeply curious about the Balkans so I took this opportunity also to see how is everything here, to taste the good food that I was reading about and to live and work with the most kind people.



2.Had you set up some goals before you came here?

Of course the goals are something that every time is here and gives me a challenge to do some of the things that I didn’t know that I can do, but this time before coming here I tried to not give myself a lot of expectations. I set some goals and first of all was to learn and improve my English language by practicing with the people that I will work and hang out in the free time. Luckily in Negotino (but generally in Macedonia) all the young (or almost) speak very good English so I can improve it day by day. The other big goal is to travel and discover the Balkan area and mainly the Balkan culture. Last, but not least, my human and professional growth. I think that some of the goals have started to become truth and to achieve them by knowing me every time when something is finished I’m setting a new one so next goals are on the list before finishing my experience here in Macedonia.







3.We all know that you’re not impressed with the size of this city but how do you feel about it?
      
Macedonia generally is a country that has a lot to offer and it is full with nature treasure and spirit that is rare to meet in other countries. I get lucky to be accepted in a project that is taking place in a town as Negotino. The advantage here is that is a quiet town, with all the essentials to live and, the most important, with friendly people with whom I share my daily life. But at the same time it doesn’t have so many opportunities for the youngsters to stimulate them and to take active participation in something. I like to live in Negotino, and I found the good compromise staying here during the week and going out and traveling around Macedonia during the weekends. (laughing)



4.How is your Macedonian, is it hard for you to communicate?

Ne zboruvam makedonski, malku malku malku (laugh). My Macedonian it’s just at the beginning, I know the basic sentences but I cannot start one conversation in Macedonian language. The difficulty to communicate it’s when the people speak only Macedonian and no other language, but it’s also a funny moment when I try to understand or to be understood. The good news is that I have started my Macedonian lessons so we will see the results very soon! I’m interested in learning Macedonian language and I like kirilica letters so before finishing my project I hope that I will go home with some basis in Macedonian .With Macedonian lessons that I get from CRSD and the conversations that I have with locals I hope that I will improve myself and at the same time challenge till where I can go with it.



5.You mentioned Centre for Regional Sustainable Development, how do you fit in there and their new attentions?

From the very beginning in the organization I found myself as part of them and their team so my impressions were brilliant. We are flexible in the organization respecting each other and know our tasks, so I can say that until now I’m fitting very well in it. We just finished one event that is part of a project called “Volunteering Platform” that was in partnership with municipalities from Negotino, Gevgelija, Sofija and Popovo and it was really interesting for me helping in the organization of the three-day event, also in the publications for it and sharing and contributing with my ideas. I’m excited about the blog page that we created and that I can contribute with my skills in it. Soon I will start with my Italian lessons that will be open for the youngsters in the organization and the youth club that is part of the CRSD.





6.What do the young people do in Italy, are their habits really different than ours?

I think not so much. Before coming here I expected to find a big difference in the behavior of the youngsters, but from what I’ve seen until now there are not so many differences, just in some habits but not in the behavior. Maybe here there are more people that don’t put in effort to find work or occupation and change their situation and they are accustomed to go out during the day just to drink coffee or to bet.  But on the other side I saw that the youngsters that go to high school or university are really motivated and competent, more than Italian students. It is nice to see the mix of ages and behavior but more or less everywhere is the same.


7.The desired question or better said the most popular, night life, can you compare it here and in your country?

Eheh! This is a good question! I think it’s the same, but with the big difference that here you can drink much more than in my country because the cost of the drinks is really cheap! And also with the difference that here the discos are crowded but nobody really dances. In Italy you can find more opportunities to spend your night life, there are more places where you can stay out in the square drinking something and just talking with your friends, or where you can go to eat something or more cinema, theatre, disco. Although, also if there are more opportunities, I think that the dynamics in the development of the night life are the same everywhere, here like in Italy. But I like the friendships here and the kindness of the people that are ready to share, explore and involve in their everyday habits with new strangers.


8.What is your motto and what do you recommend to the teenagers? How they can rationally spend their spare time?

I don’t have a motto but I live thinking that everything that happens in your life has a reason. “Nothing happens by chance” so I try to catch everything that happens in my life, all the experiences, all the moments because everything and everyone can change your life in every moment, and you don’t know when.
I guess that everyone has their own way to spend spare time but for my personal experience I can just advise them to enjoy everything that life offers you, open your mind, travel, meet, know, learn, and live! And of course to take active participation in European citizenship because only staying at home and on Facebook won’t change most of the things, only with activation, participation and decision making the things will go on better.



9. How do you feel as a volunteer and what are the benefits or the possible drawbacks?

Can we go directly to the next question?  It’s not so easy to answer this question.
From one side being a volunteer has a lot of advantages. As I had said before this experience and the status of volunteer gives me the opportunity to live and travel abroad with all the benefits that it means; you can improve or acquire your professional skills, feel yourself useful and in the same time you don’t have all the obligations that normal work requires.
On the other side being a volunteer means that the people ask you: you are a volunteer, but what does it mean? What do you do?  Ok, it’s true that volunteering cannot be considered as a job, but requires also time and effort like every job, maybe more! So it’s not a way to lose your time, like a lot of people think… One of the drawbacks of being a volunteer is the lesser consideration the institutions have about it, with the risk to be abandoned or to not receive what’s necessary to live. But this experience is precious and I’m lucky that I had opportunity to feel on it my skin and to live in an interesting country as this.


10. What is the thing that you’ve always wanted to do in life?

I’m lucky because I’m doing what I always wish, travel and be every time in new situations, with new people, with new perspectives and new ways to live my life. My wish is to continue more time to travel and learn as much is possible, while I’m hoping to leave something of me with the people that I meet in my way.


11. In the end summer is approaching so how are you planning to spend it?

Ohhh! Can I answer every time that I want to travel?
I am planning to go out from Macedonia in the summer because I think that I cannot handle the hot temperature here!  Or to be serious, I’m really curious to know the famous Havana Swimming Pool and how crowded it is in the summer. And of course, why not, travel and travel and travel. :D I will use my time for exploring new places and destinations but also to enjoy in the perfect Negotino with all the people back home and chilling here.


Interviewer & Text editor: Aneta Trajkova
Photography: Darko Andonov
Coordinator: Emilija Andonova




No comments:

Post a Comment